Sunday, May 13, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 29 May 7, 2006

The Lord Continues To Protect Paul
Theme: Living by Faith in Christ Alone
Theme Verse: "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20 NIV
Readings: Acts 23: 12-35
Memory Verse: "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

The Plot
      After Paul's appearance in front of the Sanhedrin, over forty men formed a plot to kill Paul and vowed not to eat or drink till they had done it. The horrifying part is that they went to the chief priests and elders, told them and got them to join the plot! (Always remember when the text talks about Jews that Paul and the apostles and Jesus were Jews also.) Of course this is not the first time people have tried to kill Paul. Look at the Memory Verse, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Word received: I have not asked you to go anyplace I have not gone. I have walked through that valley to My own death; I will walk through it with you and I will comfort you. Paul would have known this Psalm and probably drew comfort from it.

      These men were zealous about the wrong thing. The Jewish tradition had many rules to make sure that justice was done and innocent blood not be shed but these men are not following that.

God continues to protect Paul
      How did Paul's sister's son find out about the plot? We don't know. We don't even know his name. Perhaps we are not told to protect the one who exposed the plot to the nephew. Look at the courage it took for the nephew, a young man, to go to Paul in prison and then to the commander. It took courage to expose this wrong. He had to live among the people who did the plotting. This is an example of the power of one, one person who acts on behalf of what is right. God used that to bring Paul where He wanted him. The young man was a part of God's plan. Don't bypass what might look trivial to you. It might be part of God's larger plan. See how God can use one person. Word received: Nothing can hide from Me. Nothing escapes My knowing. Here we get a glimpse at who God is. He knows everything. "From Him no secrets are hid." He not only knows everything, He can do anything. The forty thugs didn't consider God's power or nature. God reaches out and protects Paul.

      Both the centurion and the commander (Tribune) were very responsive to Paul. They were treating him as an important prisoner, probably also because he was a Roman citizen. They let the nephew in to see Paul, listened to Paul's request, opened doors (literally and figuratively) and took him to the commander, who listened and acted on the confidential information----immediately!

      A big chunk of the Roman army in that place was protecting Paul. Look at the size of the group that took Paul half way (to An/tip'/i/tris) about 30 miles as a bird flies- but longer by road) and on to Caesarea, another 30plus miles. There were 200 soldiers, 70 horsemen and 200 spearmen plus horses for Paul to ride. The Lord did things in a big way! All of this was prepared immediately to go late that night (9-10 PM). They were to turn him over to the Roman Governor, Felix, who would guard Paul in his fortress.

      Already, God's word to Paul the night before was taking shape. "Take courage, for as you have testified about Me in Jerusalem, so you must bear witness also at Rome." Paul would have been remembering that word. Word received: You can always trust what I say to you. Paul trusted Me. You can trust Me too.

      Look at how God takes care of Paul. "He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it."(1Thessalonians 5:24) Word received: When I call you, I will equip you. When I call you, I AM able to keep you safe. I called Paul. I equipped him and I kept him safe. There is no need to be afraid. I AM sufficient for EVERY circumstance.

      "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?" (Psalm 27:1a) Word received: You do not need to be afraid when you are in My service. You do not need to fear for I AM near you. "The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"(Psalm 27:1b) Word received: I was David's strength; I was Paul's strength, and I will be your strength.

      What is God calling you to do? Are you afraid? Notice how God used something bad for His good purposes (as we have recently seen in our diocese.)

How to teach word: I AM with you when you cry out to Me. I was with Paul and I will be with you.

Note: It is not just the big stuff God is calling each of us to do. It is making it through each day trusting and obeying God. As we do the little stuff we are equipped to do the big stuff when it comes. The little stuff enabled Paul to do the big stuff.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 29
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.

      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.

      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
1. Whenever you get into a scary situation, you can ask Jesus for help. He will help us know what to do and say.
      2. God always knows and understands everything we go through. We can always trust God.
      3. God will give us strength when we are in a scary or hard situation. We don't need to be afraid.

No comments: