Sunday, November 11, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 11 November 18, 2007

Jesus Teaches and Lives Out the Fruit of the Spirit
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: "'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: Matthew 18:1-4, 21-22; John 13:3-17; Luke 23:34
Optional: Acts 7:58-60
Memory Verse: "Have this mind in you, which is yours in Christ Jesus." Philippians 2:5
      Read the Memory Verse. Jesus is not only our Savior, teacher and Lord (master), he is also our model/pattern. When he washed his disciples' feet he said, "I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. " In John 13:34 Jesus says, "a new commandment I give to you, that you should love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. Rabbis in the time of Jesus expected their disciples to live with them and not only learn what their teacher taught but also model their lives on his. Jesus called his disciples (as distinguished from other hearers and followers) to "FOLLOW ME". Jesus calls us to be his disciples, to follow him, to learn from him, to follow his example and, even more, to abide/remain IN him and to be filled with his Spirit.
      In this lesson we are looking at examples of the fruit of the Spirit in Jesus. In Matthew 18:1-4, Jesus' disciples are having a discussion about who is greatest in the Kingdom of God (Heaven); We know from other references that they were jockeying for the highest places in Jesus' Kingdom, even the night before he died! James and John even got their mother involved! Jesus turns things upside down by putting a little child in their midst and telling them that unless they turned/repented/were converted and became like a little child they would never even get into the Kingdom. [It was not "childish" behavior Jesus meant but like the relationship of a little child with its father. Jesus modeled that relationship also.] What do you think this involves? "Then Jesus called a little child to him, set him in the midst of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:2-3) A word received: I said, "Assuredly," and I meant it. It is a sure thing that unless you are converted as that little child, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. ("Converted" here means to turn quite around, to turn self about).
      We are all so anxious to be first. Word received: Do you know what it takes to be first? I had to be willing to die for all the sins of the world. I want you to love others as I did. Prayer: Lord, help me to see what Jesus had to go through to be first. Lord, show me how to humble myself and become as a child, trusting you with everything. "At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" (Matthew 18:1) A word received: I want you to take your attention off yourself and turn it to me. I had to learn to put my father's will before my own. I want you to do the same. (See Hebrews 5:8) "Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered…"
       The Philippians passage in the Memory Verse, points to Jesus' humility, love and obedience to his heavenly Father. Prayer: Jesus, I want to have your mind about things. "Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:4) A word received: I humbled myself and became obedient to the point of death, even death on the cross. How far are you willing to humble yourself?
      "Then Peter came to him and said, 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?' Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." (Matthew 18:21-22) A word received: I want you to pray for my Holy Spirit to reveal to you the many times you have sinned against others. Then you will begin to know how often you need to forgive others. What does the Lord's prayer say about this? Peter asks Jesus how many times he should forgive a sin against him -- thinking that he is being very generous to say 7 times. (Seven was considered the number of completeness.) But Jesus says, "70 times 7", (a Rabbinic phrase for "without limit") and tells the parable of the unforgiving servant.
      Look at the example Jesus actually set when he was in the agony of the cross. (Luke 23:34) As they were crucifying him, Jesus said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." Word received: I want you to show mercy and forgive others when they hurt you. That is what I did. The most powerful example of forgiveness in the early church is Stephen who let go of his hurt and pain by forgiving those who were stoning him to death! (Acts 7:59-60) Word received: Give the hurt and pain to Me when others hurt you. I AM the only one who can heal you.
      Another example of Jesus modeling the fruit of the Spirit is joy (John 15:11) "These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."
      Also an example of Jesus teaching as well as modeling love is in John 13:34, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. Also, "If you keep my commandments [obedience], you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love."
      Jesus set the example for serving others with humility and love as he washes his disciples' feet. Word received: What I want you to do is to care for others the way that I cared for all. As you do that I will care for you.
      Peace is a fruit that Jesus had in himself and offers it to his disciples. (See John 14:27 and16:33) "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you." "I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The peace of Jesus is not fragile and it does not depend on circumstances. He wants to give us his peace.
      Jesus sets an example for us of faithfulness and self-control as he daily chooses to say and do only what the Father show him -- even to the Garden of Gethsemane and the cross.
      Jesus wants to give us HIS SPIRIT so that we will have the desire and the power to follow his example. "Apart from Me you can do nothing. " (John 15:5)

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 11
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1.Jesus is the best example we have. God wants us to receive him into our hearts, to follow him and act like him.
      2. God wants us to serve and care for others the way Jesus did. As we do that Jesus will care for us. He wants us to think of others before ourselves.
      3. God wants us to forgive others when they hurt us. That is what Jesus did. Then Jesus wants us to give the hurt to him so he can heal us.
      4. God wants us to become more and more like Jesus as we grow up.
      5. Which fruit of the Spirit do you find hardest? Ask Jesus to send His Holy Spirit to help you when it is difficult.

No comments: