Thursday, January 24, 2008

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 16 January 20, 2008

The Flight to Egypt-Living Out our Life in the Spirit in our Daily Lives
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: "'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: Matthew 2:13-23; Jeremiah 31:15
Memory Verse: " an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt." Matthew 2:13a-14 (Pre-K to grade 3)
      The main theme in this lesson is obedience, prompt obedience, and the various ways God guides His people. This doesn't mean that the way will be smooth but that God will be with us and guide us if we seek His guidance and listen to Him.
      The wise men were "warned in a dream not to return to Herod" so "they departed to their own country by another way." (vs.12) They trusted God and obeyed His Holy Spirit.
      After the wise men had gone, Mary and Joseph went to bed and God woke Joseph up with a dream and an angel, telling him to get up and flee to Egypt with Mary and the baby Jesus and to stay there "till I tell you" (a.s.a.p.!) because Herod is going to try to kill the baby. So Joseph got up and fled with Mary and Jesus that very night. Bethlehem is not very far from Jerusalem! (Probably it didn't take Herod long to figure out he'd been tricked.)
      This is the second dream God gave Joseph. God speaks to him twice more in vs.19 and 22 in dreams. Each time Joseph waited for that guidance, listened and obeyed promptly. The result of his obedience is protection for him and his family. (What are some of the other ways God guided his people in this whole story in Matthew?)
      PRAYER: Thank you Lord, that you protect your own. Word received: Just as I told Joseph what he needed to know, I will always tell you what you need to know for each situation. I AM always watching over you and I will protect and guide you as I did My own Son.
       Word received: Obey Me with trust just as Joseph did.
      If we read God's word and listen to what the Lord may be saying to us, trust and obey, we too can be guided by His Holy Spirit. God will often us whatever we respond to most. Evidently for Joseph it was dreams. Reflect on John 14:15, "If you love Me, you will obey what I command and I will ask the Father and He will give you another counselor/helper to be with you forever …the Spirit of Truth."
      Look back at verses 11 and 12. God uses the faithfulness of the wise men to provide for the needs of the Holy Family in Egypt---right on time.
      Now look at the tragic wickedness of King Herod (vs.16-19), a sad, new fulfillment of the verse from Jeremiah 31:15, the scene of earlier national grief after the fall of Jerusalem. Rachel, Jacob's wife, also died in childbirth near Bethlehem. Satan tries to outdo God but he never can, so he takes out his fury on human beings. Satan and men may kill our bodies but he can never kill the soul or spirit. Word received: "Comfort, comfort My people, says your God." (Isaiah 40:1) I want you to bring comfort to those who mourn. Comfort My people.
      In this lesson three prophecies are fulfilled! (vs.15, 18, 23). Word received: As you see I always accomplish what I set out to do. I want you to see that I AM who I AM--all through time. My word is true from the beginning into eternity.
God wants us to see that by looking at prophecy fulfilled.

Word for teachers: Look at 1 Samuel 15:22-23. Obedience IS better than sacrifice. I want My people to obey Me, to obey what I have said to them.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 16
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.
Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1.. God promises to guide his people if we will ask, listen, trust and obey.
      2. God told Joseph what to do to protect his Son, and Joseph listened and obeyed. God wants us to be as obedient as Joseph.
      3. What are some of the ways God guided his people in this lesson?
      4. God is always faithful to his WORD.

No comments: