Saturday, February 9, 2008

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 19 February 10, 2008

Jesus is Baptized and Anointed by the Holy Spirit for Ministry
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: "'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: Matthew 3:11-4:1; John 3:34
Optional: Isaiah 11: 1-5
Memory Verse: "And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.' " Luke 3:21b-22 (Pre-K to grade 3)
      John the Baptist was sent by God to preach a baptism of repentance from sin to prepare the way for God's Son, Jesus. But John always pointed to the one who would follow him who was greater and would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire. He would also winnow the harvest of the people who would come, into wheat and chaff. He would come both as Savior and as Judge.
      "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." (Matthew 3:11) A word received: I want to pour out my Holy Spirit on you and in you. I want you to be filled with the fire of my love for you. Come to me -- let me fill you up. (Matthew 3:11 and Revelation 3:16) Word received: I do not want My people to be lukewarm when it comes to My word and witnessing for Me, I want them to be on fire for Me!
      The purpose of Jesus' coming was to save all who would respond with belief in him and not to condemn the world. (John 3:16). But his very presence and message would sift (winnow) people's hearts and separate them into those who would accept him and those who would reject him. "His winnowing fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly clean out his threshing floor, and gather his wheat into the barn; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." (Matthew 3:12) A word received: The wheat will be gathered to me, the chaff will be burned. Look to me, turn to me, accept me as Lord and Savior. I do not desire the death of any man. Do not be chaff. Be wheat, lead fruitful lives. The choice is ours! The other choice we make is whether we will follow Jesus and be "fishers of men" so they will know the truth that can make them free.
      "But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry." Word received: I AM coming. I AM coming again. Be expectant; don't give up or give in. When you receive My Holy Spirit you will be able to get through it all until I come again.
      John's reaction to Jesus coming to him for baptism was a protest, saying that it should be the other way around! What Jesus' answer "it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness" means is that "righteousness" refers to God's will and plan. Even though John didn't understand, he was a witness to what God was doing. (See John 1:32-33) Since Jesus was fully human (as well as fully divine), yet without sin, what was this purpose of God? 1) It was to anoint Jesus with a special outpouring of the Holy Spirit for his ministry. (Jesus had always had the Holy Spirit.), and 2) to reveal Jesus to God's people, Israel. "John came baptizing that he (Jesus) might be revealed to Israel." (John 1:31) 3) Jesus is also a model for us to follow his example. We need repentance.
      Look again at verse 15. Word received: Do you see how My Son agreed to become a man to fulfill My promise to you? I love you enough to send My only Son. Are you willing to accept My love? What are you willing to give after I gave My Son?
      After Jesus was baptized and came up out of the water of the river Jordan,
"heaven opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is My Son, whom I love; with him I AM well pleased.'" Matthew 3:16-17) God spoke words of love, and of affirmation, identifying who Jesus was. But it is not clear whether anyone besides John and Jesus heard what was said and saw "heaven opened". In John 1:32 John says he too saw the Holy Spirit as a dove descend and remain on Jesus and twice calls him "the Lamb of God". John says God the Father told him that the one on whom the Spirit remains is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit. (Here we see the Trinity in action together.)
       Word received: My Son was and still is obedient. Will you be obedient to Me? I want you to be obedient to Me. I love you so much.
       Now reread the Memory Verse. Word received: I love you but you need to come to Me, listen to Me, and obey Me just like My Son Jesus did. I was and am pleased with him. I want to be pleased with you. You need to come to Me, listen to Me, and obey Me.
      Now look at John 3:34 " For he whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure." Word received: God gives His Son the Spirit without limit so we can know him better. Jesus was without sin so there was no obstacle in him to being filled with the Holy Spirit. Word received: I do not use an eye- dropper or a teaspoon to distribute my Holy Spirit. I pour out pools of living water. PRAYER: Lord, enlarge my capacity to receive your Holy Spirit. We pray that out of us will flow rivers of living water. (John 7:37-39)
      Jesus promised us in John 16:7, "unless I go away, the Counselor (Holy Spirit) will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you." This is what the prophet Joel promised that God would do someday. (We at Christ Church have seen and experienced the work of the Holy Spirit in our midst but there is ALWAYS MORE.)
      Isaiah 42:1 speaks of the Spirit God will pour out on His "My Servant"…My chosen, in whom My Soul delights. God describes the Spirit that will be upon the "Branch" , the Messiah in Isaiah 11:2. "The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him--the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD--and he will delight in the fear of the LORD.

Word for teachers: I want you to reveal Jesus to those around you by your words and deeds; I sent John to do that; I have called you to do that.
      Have you listened for the call? Have you responded?

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 19
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:

      1.God wants to give us his Holy Spirit just as he did his Son, Jesus.
      2. God wants to fill us with his Holy Spirit. He wants us to come to him and ask.
      3. God's Spirit will equip you to live in the world in a way that is pleasing to God and to
tell others (witness) about God's love for us in Jesus.
      4. God's Holy Spirit will enable us to hear and discern God's voice and give us strength to obey him. (Have you listened to God's call to you?)
      5. Remember how much God loves you and that he sent his Son for you.

No comments: