Sunday, March 9, 2008

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 23 March 16, 2008

Jesus Models How to Respond to the Holy Spirit
Palm Sunday
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: "'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: John 13:1-17
Optional: Philippians 2:5-10
Memory Verse: Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:14-15(Pre-K to grade 3)
      This act of Jesus washing the disciple's feet is a perfect example of how awesome our God is! Just think of it. Our God who created everything and everybody, sends his only Son in human likeness, without sin, to die for our sins and the sins of the whole world! "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this; while we were still sinners Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
      "When Jesus knew that his hour had come" (vs.1a) Word received: I had so little time left with My disciples. Look at what I taught them---I showed them My love by serving them. Word received: Do you see how My Son is following My plan? He knew what I was doing and followed Me 100%. I want you to follow Me 100%. "He loved them to the end/ he showed them the full extent of his love." (vs.1b) Word received: This is how much I love you. I AM willing to do the dirtiest and lowest of jobs. I AM willing to be the least to show you the most love. Are you willing to do that for each other? Here Jesus becomes a servant to those he loved deeply. He is modeling for us. He wants us to serve those we love but also to serve those who are unloved. He took the lowest place in society to show others what to do.
      Reread verse 3 about what Jesus knew that enabled him to do what he did. Jesus knew the plan. He was a willing sacrifice, dying for the sins of the world. He gave his life. He knew what he was facing and yet he did it. That is true and amazing love. "Jesus… rose from supper and laid aside his outer garments and took a towel and girded himself." (vs.4) Word received: Sometimes the only way you can serve is by laying aside your dignity. Jesus was clear about who he was. He didn't need the outer forms of his position as Lord and teacher. "After that he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet." (vs.5) Word received: Will you let me serve you by caring for you as I did My disciples? Notice that Jesus washed Judas' feet! "Then he came to Simon Peter, and Peter said to him, "Lord, are you washing my feet?'" (vs.6) Word received: Peter had to learn what it meant to be a disciple of mine. A disciple of mine lets Me minister to him in love. Word received: There is a physical level and a spiritual level to the washing of feet. You must do the physical act of caring for one another to experience the spiritual level of love, forgiveness and sacrifice.
      By what he did, Jesus models servant leadership and self giving love. But there is more here. Jesus says (vs.7) "afterwards you will understand." Peter must let Jesus wash him. The reason will become plain afterwards in the cross. Jesus' disciples (and all Christians) must be cleansed by the shed blood of Jesus on the cross as the Lamb of God. Outward washing alone does not cleanse spiritual things. Consider these two verses. Luke 11:39: "Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and dish but inside you are full of extortion and wickedness. Hebrews 10:22: "Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience. (Vs.19) "since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus."
      Now look at the parallels with Paul's letter to the Philippians which quotes what many think was an early Christian hymn. Read Philippians 2:5-10 aloud. Now reread the memory verse. Word received: I want My people to seriously take to heart My call for them to see that I have set them an example they should follow. (Phil.2:5) Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus." Word received: I want you to have a new mind. I AM your teacher and your Lord. Look to Me for the example of how to live your life.
      "Who being in the form of God/in very nature God, did not consider it robbery to be equal to God." (vs.6) Word received: I laid aside My garments and washed My disciples' feet knowing (underline knowing) that I came from God and was going to God. "but made himself of no reputation/emptied himself in taking the form of a bondservant in the likeness of men.(vs.7) Word received: I rose from supper and laid aside My garments, and took a towel and girded myself and washed My disciples' feet. I did this work of a servant or slave so that My disciples would find the freedom to love one another as men of God.
      "And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on the cross." Word received: I was obedient for I did only what I saw My Father doing. I humbled Myself so that you could know My Father's love for you. "Therefore God also has highly exalted him and given him the name which is above every name." (vs.9) See John 13:16-17. "Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them." Word received: I want you to enter My service by being servants and serving one another.
      How easy it is to know the right thing to do and how much harder it is to actually do them. Jesus models actually doing it. Pray for the power of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Jesus, to empower us to actually copy Jesus' example, to follow through and do it. We can ask, "What would Jesus do?" or "Where would Jesus be?" but God has provided a way to be clearer about it. As the Lord has said to us before, Word receivedPeter and John were where I wanted them to be. That is how they were able to minister to the crippled man. Seek Me about where you should go and what you should be doing. Then I can direct your path. Seek Me first, than I can use you. To be in the Lord's service is to follow his example and let Him direct our paths.
      Jesus knew who he was and therefore was free to do even this lowly task. Sometimes our sense of identity is weak and we are afraid to do anything that might threaten it. If we belong to Jesus we are God's beloved children, and we are in the King's service (servant). That is an identity that is not changed by doing a lowly task because it is our Father's will. (Look at what Mother Theresa did.) Word received: There are blessings to be had when you follow Me and do as I do. Word received: As you do as I have done you will draw others to Me.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 23
      Please read the Study Guide first (after you have read the Scriptures). Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year. Read the lesson aloud from the Bible in class.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1.Jesus is a model for us. He wants us to do what he did. (explain) Ask Jesus to guide you in what to do and where to be in each situation.
      2. Jesus loved the disciples so much, that he was willing to become a servant to them. Jesus want us to be servants to each other to show love. Ask Jesus for the freedom to do that.
      3. We are the Body of Christ. We need to serve and help each other and also show Jesus' love to those who are unloved.
      4. There are many blessings to be received when serving each other and others will be drawn to Jesus when we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.