Sunday, April 6, 2008

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 25 April 6, 2008

Growing in the Spirit
Learning to Listen and Discern God's Voice Part 1
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: "'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: 1 Samuel 3:1-10; John 10: 1-18
Optional: 1 Samuel 3:19-21
Memory Verse: "Speak, for your servant is listening." 1 Samuel 3:10

NOTES: In verse 1 "word" and "vision" both refer to a revelation/message from God.
      "The lamp of God had not yet gone out." The lamp burned all night see
Exodus27:21 so the time was just before dawn.
      According to Jewish tradition, Samuel was 12 years old at this time. That is the same age that Jesus stayed behind in the temple. (Luke 40:52)

      "Now the boy Samuel ministered to the LORD before Eli." (1 Samuel 3:1a) A word received: I want the children to minister to me. Word received: Do you see that Samuel was just a boy when he was ministering before the LORD. I want to use all My people of all ages. Because Samuel was young his heart was very open to Me. I want to use the young ones among you.
      "And the word of the LORD was rare in those days; there was no widespread revelation." (1 Samuel 3:1b) A word received: I want to pour out my word and my Spirit on my people. Pray for hearts that are prepared for my gifts.
      "And it came to pass at that time, while Eli was lying down in his place, and when his eyes had begun to grow so dim that he could not see," (1 Samuel 3:2) A word received: Eli had two kinds of blindness; the worst was spiritual blindness.
      "and before the lamp of God went out in the tabernacle of the LORD where the ark of God was, and while Samuel was lying down," (1 Samuel 3:3) A word received: I long for my people to rest in my presence.
NOTE on the Ark of God at end,
      Then the LORD called Samuel by name but he thought it was the old priest, Eli.
"So he ran to Eli and said, 'Here I am, for you called me.' And he said, 'I did not call; lie down again.' And he went and lay down." (1 Samuel 3:5) A word received: You will not always know whether it is my voice or the voice of another. Go to someone with discernment if you are not sure.
      "Then the LORD called yet again, 'Samuel!' So Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, 'Here I am, for you called me.' He answered, 'I did not call, my son; lie down again.'" (1 Samuel 3:6) A word received: I will keep calling you until you recognize my voice.
      "Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, nor was the word of the LORD yet revealed to him." (1 Samuel 3:7) The child Samuel did not yet know the LORD (the I AM) personally even though he was serving in the Tabernacle(still a tent) of God. A word received: I want to reveal my word to you. I want you to know me. I want every child to know me. Word received: Even if I have not been revealed to someone yet, they can still hear Me when I call to them. So pray and cry out for those who have not yet responded to My calling. Pray that their hearts will be open and soft and that they will answer My call to them.
      "And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. So he arose and went to Eli, and said, 'Here I am, for you did call me.' Then Eli perceived that the LORD had called the boy." (1 Samuel 3:8) A word received: I want the adults to recognize when I am calling to the youth; I want them to discern this and encourage the youth to hear me as Eli did with Samuel. Eli finally got discernment the third time and gave clear instructions.
      "Therefore Eli said to Samuel, 'Go, lie down; and it shall be, if he calls you, that you must say, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant hears.' So Samuel went and lay down in his place." (1 Samuel 3:9) A word received: Pray for adults who will mentor the youth as Eli did Samuel.
      "Now the LORD came and stood and called as at other times, 'Samuel! Samuel!' And Samuel answered, 'Speak, for your servant hears.'" (1 Samuel 3:10) A word received: Pray for listening hearts.
      Look again at the Memory Verse. When we pray or read scripture, do we do all the talking or do we take time to be quiet? We have to work at listening. Each time Samuel had to get up and go check. We have to learn to listen. Moses, when he saw the burning bush that didn't burn up (Exodus 3) had to go over and investigate before God spoke to him.
      Now look at verses 19-21. God was with Samuel in a special way as he grew up and the whole nation of Israel knew he had become a prophet of God and that he spoke messages from God. Word received: Samuel was faithful and obedient to Me. I want you to be faithful and obedient too.
      "For the LORD revealed himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the LORD."
We, both children and adults, need to read the Bible regularly so we get familiar with the LORD's words and ask, as Samuel did, "Speak, for your servant is listening." An important way to begin is to pay attention to when a verse jumps out at you/catches your attention. Then we need to ask the LORD to show us what he is trying to tell us. We need to do this daily as we will become more sensitive to the Lord's voice.
            *      *      *      *      *      *      *      *      *
      Now look at John 10: 1-18. Jesus is both the Good Shepherd and the Gate. "The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out…(vs.3) "He goes before them and the sheep follow him for they know his voice." (vs.4) If you have asked Jesus into your heart, you are one of his sheep/lambs and he calls you by name. Jesus knows your name and he calls you to follow him day by day! He wants us to talk to him and learn about him. Word received: The more you talk with Me the better you will recognize My voice.
      We all need to get to know his voice. One of the important ways is to read his word in the Bible. The first test of whether or not a word or message (could be a picture or strong sense) is whether or not it agrees with scripture. Then we have to ask him to reveal to us whether or not it is his present message to us. Remember, even the devil can quote scripture. The more we talk with Jesus the easier it is to recognize his voice. But we always need to test it. There are 3 sources for something that appears to be a message: God, ourselves and the devil. Sometimes we need to go to another person who hears from the LORD and ask them to test it. When we pray we shouldn't do all the talking. Some people receive a deep peace when they hear and pray about it. You can ask Jesus to speak to you and help you recognize his voice. Jesus told his disciples "Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and it will be opened to you." We also need to remember what Paul said, that our prophecy/hearing the Lord. is imperfect. It is never on the level of scripture.
      But the first step is always to ask Jesus into your heart and give yourself into his keeping. Word received: I want My people to accept Me as their personal Savior. Then they will know My voice. (on a regular basis. God sometimes speaks a converting word like he did to Paul.)
      When we are Jesus' sheep/lambs we have entered into God's sheepfold through Jesus. He is the Gate. There is no other way in. Only Jesus is "The Way, the Truth and the Life." Then we can come and go day by day and "find Pasture"(our daily needs). (vs.9) Word received: In Me you have true freedom. It's the kind of freedom that provides protection and space to grow. I love you. This is what I want for you. Stay in My pasture.
      "I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." (vs.11) Word received: I AM a willing shepherd and a willing sacrifice. I love you. Jesus is our shepherd. He knows his sheep/lambs and his sheep know him. He loves his sheep/lambs.

NOTE on Ark of God: The Ark was a portable wooden box representing the presence and power of God with his people. (Ex.25:22) After God spoke to Moses on Mt Sinai, he gave instructions for a portable tent of worship called a Tabernacle. The Ark was one of the most important things in it. God used it to guide the Israelites in the wilderness (Numbers 10:33), to lead in war (Numbers 10:35-36), and a place to hear from God. (1 Samuel 3) It was regarded as a throne, a "Mercy Seat", above which God was invisibly enthroned. It contained the stone tables with the Ten Commandments on them.
It was to be carried on 2 long poles by priests.
      The wooden box was covered the gold and the Mercy Seat was pure gold. On each side of the seat were two cherubim, facing the seat, and overshadowing the Mercy Seat with their wing outstretched over the seat. (Exodus 37:1-9) Years later, King David moved it to Jerusalem.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 25
      Please read the Study Guide first (after you have read the Scriptures). Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year. Read the lesson aloud from the Bible in class.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1.God wants each of you to know him personally and he wants you to learn to hear and recognize his voice, just like Samuel.
      2. God wants to use us. It doesn't matter who you are, or how old you are.
      3. When God calls or speaks to us, he wants us to respond and act. God wants a relationship with us.
      4. If you think God has called you and you aren't sure, you can speak to someone in the Christian community who has wisdom and discernment.
      5. God wants us to act on what he tells us.
      6. The more you listen to the Bible being read (or read it) the more you will know what the Lord sounds like. When you pray you need to listen as well as talk. Samuel did.

No comments: