Sunday, November 29, 2009

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 11

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 11, December 6, 2009
Who do you say that I am?
"I AM The Light of The World"
Theme Verse: "Who do you say that I am?" Matthew 16:15
Readings: Psalm 27:1, 1 John 1: 5-10, John 1:1-9, John 8:12 & 9:5, Matthew 5:14-16
Optional: Psalm 139:11-12,
Memory Verse: Jesus said, "I AM the Light of the World. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12
[There is a great deal of both kinds of light and darkness, both physical and spiritual light and darkness in this lesson.) Can you give an example of each kind?]
This is another of Jesus' "I AM" statements. The Name, "I AM", was the name the God gave about himself to Moses at the Burning Bush near Mt. Sinai when he called Moses to go back to Egypt to lead the enslaved Israelites to freedom and to Himself. (Exodus 3) The name was considered too holy to use so they substituted other terms for it.
Jesus uses the phrase, "light of the world" three times, twice about himself and once about his disciples who were and are called to reflect his Light to the world.
Once when Jesus was teaching in the Temple and rescued the woman about to be executed for her sins, he told her to "go and sin no more." Then Jesus said to the crowd, "I AM the Light of the World. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." Then he told those who argued with him, "If you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." (v.24) The religious leaders did not believe him and kept on arguing. Finally Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I AM!", identifying himself with God the Father. They tried to kill him but he escaped. (They were spiritually blind.)
Jesus says the same thing again (John 9:5) when he healed the man born blind, saying, "While I am in the world, I AM the Light of the World." Jesus came that the physically and spiritually blind might see---but they have to desire what he has to give. Later we will look at what Jesus told his disciples that they were to be "the light of the world", reflecting his light to bring praise to God our Father.
Light in the Old Testament, Jesus' Bible, is associated with God himself. In the beginning of the universe, God created physical light. The sources of light (sun, moon, stars) that the pagans worshiped as gods were the creation of God. Sometimes when God appeared to the Israelites, his presence was expressed by a light, as a pillar of fire that led the Israelites through the wilderness at night and when the "shekinah" glory of God filled the temple so that the priests were unable to enter. Another example of the physical light of God is in the story of the angels who came to the shepherds to tell them about Jesus' birth. Luke 29 talks about "the glory of the Lord shone round about them and they were very afraid."
Isaiah 60:1 talks about the time when God's spiritual light/glory will come to his people and the peoples (nations) of the world so that they will come out of (spiritual) darkness to the light that God will give the Jewish people (a reference to the promised Messiah). Isaiah 9:2, 6-7 also talks about the coming Messiah, a child born to the family of David to rule with righteousness forever. He will be a "great light" dawning on people living in great (spiritual) darkness and sin.
In John's letter to the churches (1 John 1:5) he tells us that "God IS light and in him is no darkness at all." John is talking about "light" as a picture, a metaphor, a spiritual reality of God's character, power and life. He is totally good with "no darkness at all" of sin or evil. .John says here if we say we have fellowship with God and walk in darkness, we are lying, but if we walk in his light, we have fellowship with one another and Jesus' blood cleanses us from all sin. ( vz.6-7)
David the Psalmist, tells us in Ps 27:1 that God, the LORD (the "I AM") is his personal light (to guide him) and his salvation (so he does not need to be afraid of his enemies)
Now look at the beginning of John's gospel (1:1-9). John tells us that Jesus, the very Word of God, has life in himself (because his is one with God) and his life gives light to people. Jesus came to give us new life in him and his life shines light to live by into our lives. There is a lot of darkness (sin, evil, death, etc.) in the world but the light that is Jesus still shines in the middle of the darkness and the darkness cannot put it out! The light Jesus offers is intended for everyone but not everyone wants to receive it. We have to choose to receive Jesus' life into ourselves and walk in it.
(Jesus is calling us now to choose to walk in his light with his strength and ask for his help.)
Now look at Matthew 5:14-16. Jesus, the Light of the World, is calling his disciples to choose to receive Jesus' light and to let it shine out, to walk and live in Jesus' light so that others may see and praise God the Father in Heaven for your actions (deeds). We are not to hide Jesus' light out of fear or doubt. God wants to use us like a candle light in the dark to point people to Jesus. It is not about us, it is about him/Jesus!

"'You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.'" (Matthew 5:14) A word received: I want you to shed forth my light.

"'Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.'" (Matthew 5:15) A word received: Look at those "baskets" in your life that hide my light. Ask me to help remove those things which stop my light going forth in your life.

"'Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.'" (Matthew 5:16) A word received: I long for my light to shine forth through you. Pray for transparency -- that the light -- my light -- will shine forth in your lives for others to see by.

Paul warns us in Ephesians 5:8-15 to "walk", live as children of light, showing the "fruit" of light ( all goodness, righteousness and truth) and "to find out what pleases the LORD"! (Note: children, "sons" of light means to have the character of light, be obedient to light, to Jesus. Including being alert, self controlled, putting on the armor of God for protection. 1 Thessalonians 5:5-6)
Psalm 139:7-12 talks about God's care and guidance NO MATTER WHERE in the world we are and NO MATTER HOW DARK and difficult our circumstances. If we try to hide or run from God and say, "surely the darkness will hide me"---"the darkness is as light to you." Psalm 119:105 talks about God's word (both Scripture and Jesus) as a "lamp to my feet and a light for my path." If we seek him, he rejoices to see us turning to him.
To do this it is important to spend time with Jesus, the Light of the World and to spend time in God's word in Scripture, not doing all the talking but listening as we read. (Psalm 139: 23-24)
Now reflect on some other words that the Lord has given the teachers.
"For you will light my lamp; the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness." (Psalm 18:28) A word received: I have come that you may have light to see by. Look to me for light on your path.

"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a light has shined." (Isaiah 9:2) A word received: I have come so that you may have light to see by -- come to my light; there is no shortage of light in my father's house.

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1) A word received: Come, step into my light and bask in my love. There is abundance of peace there. Look to me and I will shed my light to see by.

No comments: