Sunday, September 9, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 01 (Young Children) September 9, 2007

God's Name: "I AM" (Children's version)
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: " 'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: Exodus 3:13-15, John 14: 1-17, John 8:56-58
Optional: Exodus 3:1-15
Memory Verse: " I AM the way, the truth, and the Life." John 14:6
      This year we are going to study about God the Holy Spirit. He, the Holy Spirit, is ONE God with the Father and the Son, Jesus. How many Gods are there?? One.
      God loves us. He loves you and you and you and He wants us to know him. When we meet someone new we begin by getting to know their name and telling them our name. God already knows your name. His special name is "I AM".
      God has many names that describe who He is and what He does , but He has revealed to us in the Bible His special name. That name is "I AM". The longer version is "I AM who I AM". Tell or read story in Exodus 3:1-15. It means that God is always present. He has no beginning and no end and He made everything that is good.
      Word received: I was there at the beginning, I am there now. I will always be.
      Jesus tried to tell his people about who he was and is. Read John 8:56-58. Jesus also calls himself, "I AM". Then he uses it to tell more about himself.
      Jesus tells us, Word received: I AM the way, the truth and the life. (John 14:5) Look at that, take it apart.
      I AM the way. I have promised that My Father will send His Holy Spirit to you it you ask. Ask for My Holy Spirit.
      I AM the truth. If you want to know what is true, look at what I have said in Scripture.
      I AM the life. I long for My people to have new life in Me. Ask for My Holy Spirit, enter the life of My Spirit. Ask for My new life and receive My Spirit.
      Jesus tells us that he is the only way we can get to God the Father and that if we know Jesus we have seen the Father and know him (See John 14:6-7) Jesus and God the Father are One God and they will send the Holy Spirit to us. He is also one with them. We don't have to understand this, we just have to believe it is true because Jesus told us. The Holy Spirit points to Jesus.
      God wants us to begin with His name, "I AM".
Word received: I AM. I want the Sunday School to start with that: " I AM." Show them what it means to be " I AM". I AM with you; I AM alive ; I AM Lord; I AM mighty to save; I AM your healer… I AM all that and more.
      Word received: You are in My care -- that goes along with being I AM. I want the children to hear that as I was with Abraham as he followed My directions, so I will be with the children (all children by faith) who follow My directions and guidance.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 01
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1.There is one God, and His name is " I AM". God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit are " I AM". God loves you and wants you to know His name and to know Him.
      2. God, the " I AM" has no beginning and no end; He always has been and is here now.
      3. God, the " I AM", made everything that is good.
      4. Jesus, who is God the " I AM", is the way, the truth and the life. He is the way to the Father. The Father sent Jesus and the Holy Spirit so that we might come to Him. We have a Father in Heaven who is completely good and who loves us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Grandma has family lessons about heaven. You’ll find them here:
http://www.mygrandmatime.com/3019-2/visit-with-grandma/bible-fun-with-grandma/family-bible-activities/looking-toward-heaven/