Sunday, September 16, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 03 September 23, 2007

Who is the Holy Spirit
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: "'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: John 14:15-31; Genesis 1:1-3; Romans 8:1-2,9-11; Acts 2:1-4
Optional: Acts 2:15-16,36-39
Memory Verse: "When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me." John 15:26 (Pre-K to grade 3)
      Who is the Holy Spirit? The most basic answer to this question is that the Holy Spirit is God himself. He is personal. The Holy Spirit is not just an impersonal force or power. He is part of the Trinity -- the "one God in three persons" as the creed says -- and always has been. He is the Spirit of the Father and He is the Spirit of Jesus. To use a human analogy, we could say the Trinity works as a team.
       The Holy Spirit was there at the creation of the universe. (Genesis 1:1-3) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1) A word received: There is a beginning for you; there never was a time when I was not. I was there at the beginning creating the heavens and the earth and I was there at your beginning creating you. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. (Genesis 1:2) A word received: Before I came into your life there was a void and there was great darkness. Now there is light. Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. (Genesis 1:3) A word received: I came into your life so that you would have light to see and light to know the way to the Father. Invite me into the remaining dark places in your life so that my light may shine clearly through your life.
       The Holy Spirit was always active in to Old Testament but he was given only to special people for special tasks. For example: to Moses, to Joshua, and to David to govern his people, to Gideon to rescue his people, to artists and musicians like Bezalel (Exodus 31:3-5), to the Psalm writers, to prophets and teachers like Isaiah, Amos, and Samuel. But God promised that someday he would pour out his Spirit on all his people (Joel 2:28-29). In Ezekiel 36:26-27 he promised "I will give you a new heart and put a new Spirit in you," and in Jeremiah 31:33 that he would give his people a new covenant, different from the first that would be internal rather than just external, "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts."
      The last night before Jesus died on the cross he told his disciples more about the Holy Spirit. In both John 14 and 15 Jesus talks about asking the Father to send the Holy Spirit to them.
      "When the Counselor" [Greek: paraclete -- intercessor, counselor, advocate, strengthener] "comes, whom I will send to you..." (John 15:26a) A word received: This is comfort that I want you to have. "from the Father," (John 15:26b) A word received: The Father and I both want you to receive the Holy Spirit. "the Spirit of truth" (John 15:26c) A word received: Truth drives out falsehood, receive my Spirit so that you will know the truth and be set free. The Holy Spirit brings insight and gives us a "new way to look at life." "who goes out from the Father," (John 15:26d) A word received: The Father and I are one and we both desire you to receive the Holy Spirit. "he will testify about me." (John 15:26e) A word received: The Holy Spirit is sent by the Father so that you can know me in your hearts. I want to dwell in your heart by my Spirit and in your mind by my word.
      Look at John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father and he will give you another counselor [like the first one, Jesus] to be with you forever. I will not leave you desolate, I will come to you." A word received: I came to be with you. [When Jesus' visible presence was no longer there] I want to teach you, so you will need to take time and listen. Don't be afraid to listen, and don't be afraid to hear me. As Jesus said, you will not be left as orphans, so you are not alone. I AM here. [The Holy Spirit is always present. We need to let him in.]
       God is faithful. What he promised centuries before, he did after Jesus' resurrection. Jesus told them to wait. Yes, they would be his witnesses but they were to wait -- for the power from on high, the Holy Spirit. In Acts 2, as the disciples, 120 of them, waited in the upper room with one heart and mind, God fulfilled his promise with great power with tongues of fire and like a mighty wind. [Both wind and fire are symbols of the Holy Spirit.]
       A word received: I came just as I said I would come. Trust me! The result of the infilling of the Holy Spirit is that Peter is able to share the Good News and proclaim that Jesus is the Messiah -- without fear! -- and the people heard. Many repented and were saved. A word received: When you receive me you receive my power.
      Look at Romans 8:1-2, 9-11. "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:2) A word received: We receive freedom!! from sin and death! What a gift! -- and the Spirit will live in us. He will convict us of sin so that we may be set free. He will draw us to Jesus. "He will testify of me." (John 15:16) The Holy Spirit wants to set us free from fear. He is the Spirit of Jesus. Prayer: Lord, keep you sunlight in me. Help me to continue to release all my fears and worries to you. Give us your peace, the please that passes understanding, that the world cannot give.
      Another important thing to know about the Holy Spirit is that he is the Spirit of Adoption (Romans 8:15) who makes us God's children. Pray that all of us will desire to be adopted by God. That is the desire of God's heart for us.
      Jesus told his disciples that he was going to the Father. He told them many times that he only did what the Father showed him -- he was obedient. We too are called to go to the Father through Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit. We too are called to that same obedience and trust.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 03
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1. The Holy Spirit is God Himself. He is a person (no just an impersonal power.) He is the Spirit of God the Father and the Spirit of Jesus. He has always been present and always will be.
      2. God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit are ONE God and they work together as a team. (We don't have to understand this, just believe what God tells us.)
      3. God wants us to receive His Holy Spirit so he can have a special relationship with each person, so that we can know Jesus and God the Father in our hearts. We are not alone. The "I AM", (Spirit, Jesus, Father) is here to be with you.
      4. We can't see the Holy Spirit, but He is still there. It's like the wind; you can feel the wind and see what the wind does but can't see the wind itself. The Holy Spirit wants to give us His power to follow Jesus.
      5. Each person can ask to receive the Holy Spirit. He wants to live in your heart and guide and strengthen you. He is the Spirit of Truth who will teach us what is true.

No comments: