Sunday, September 9, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 02 September 16, 2007

"In the beginning" - the Holy Spirit has always been
Theme: The Holy Spirit
Theme Verse: " 'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the LORD of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
Readings: Genesis 1:1-3, Psalm 139:1-14, Psalm 33:6, Joel 2:25-29, Acts 1:4-8
Optional: Mark 1:9-15
Memory Verse: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." (Pre-K to grade 3)
      Remember what we learned about God's special name, "I AM". Part of the meaning is that God the Holy Spirit (and the Father and His Word) has always existed and always will. He is "Alpha" and "Omega" (A to Z), the beginning and the end for everything else but He himself has no beginning or end. All times and places are present to Him. He is present NOW! Word received: I was there at the beginning. I AM there now. I will always be.
      The great "I AM" is the only God. There is no other! God: Father, Spirit, Word, are ONE God. This is one of the first things God taught His chosen people Israel. (Deut.6:4-6f) Hear O Israel: The LORD* our God is one LORD; and you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words which I command you this day shall be upon your heart and you shall teach them diligently to your children." God warned them against forgetting Who He Is and What He has done when life got easier for them and he warned against beginning to go after the gods/idols of the peoples around them. (Still a problem today!) (God chose a people for His own in order to use them so that all peoples and individuals would have a chance to come to know, love and serve Him.)
      Now stop and look at some things God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) wants to teach us from this Genesis passage. " In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". (Genesis 1:1) A word received: I created them, they are mine.
      "The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:2) A word received: Invite me into all the dry places in your life. Invite me to hover over them.
      "Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light." (Genesis 1:3) A word received: I want my light to flood your souls. A word received: I was there in the beginning. I AM here now and I will always be.
      See also Psalm 33:6. "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth." Word received: I spoke and they were created. Lord, you are the author and finisher of (the world and) our faith.
      The Holy Spirit, as well as God's Word, is referred to many times in the Old Testament (the Hebrew Bible)/ Look at Psalm 139:1-14. Word received: Don't be afraid that I know you better than you know yourself. I made you and I love you. I will show you the way as you follow me. Choose to follow me. Choose to learn from My Spirit. There is no better way to live. Prayer: Lord, you knew me before I was aware of my own life. Help me give my life back into your keeping, to trust your love for me.
      "O LORD, you have searched me and known me." (Psalm 139:1) A word received: I want you to invite me to search out all the deep and hidden places in your life. I will bring my light. "You know my sitting down and my rising up; you understand my thought afar off." (Psalm 139:2) A word received: I know all about you -- nothing is hidden, and I still love you A word received: Invite me into your thoughts. Invite my cleansing fire into your thoughts.
      In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit was given to special leaders, priests and prophets like Moses, David, Isaiah, etc. Through the prophet Joel God promises that someday He will pour out His Spirit on all His people. Read Joel 2:25-29. God's Spirit is with us always when we belong to Him yet we have to ask to receive Him and His Holy Spirit in power.
       God has other promises in Joel. "So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the crawling locust, the consuming locust, and the chewing locust, my great army which I sent among you." (Joel 2:25-28) "You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, who has dealt wondrously with you; and my people shall never be put to shame." (Joel 2:26)
       "Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price." (Isaiah 55:1) A word received: My Holy Spirit is withheld from no one who seeks me and desires me. I AM he who gives without measure and without price.
      "Then you shall know that I am in the midst of Israel: I am the LORD your God and there is no other. My people shall never be put to shame." (Joel 2: 28) A word received: I was/am with you when bad things happened, I will repay and restore in my own time by my Spirit. You will be built anew. A word received: This can be now -- Are you willing and open to receive my Spirit? He is waiting. God who created us can recreate us and give us new life through his Spirit.
      Now look at Acts 1:4-8 after Jesus' resurrection as he tells his disciples to wait for what he and the Father have promised--the gift of the Holy Spirit with power. Word received: Wait for the Holy Spirit, the father's gift to you. The Holy Spirit gifts you with power to proclaim his truth. A word received: This is what I want -- for you to be my witnesses. Receive my Spirit and share My power with others. I will show you the way. (Acts 1:8)
      The coming of Jesus, God's promised and anointed one, is the beginning of the fulfillment of an outpouring of the Holy Spirit and of so many of God's promises. Jesus' very birth was by the power of the Holy Spirit and he knew a special relationship with God the Father even when he was 12 and yet the Father had Jesus be obedient to the baptism of John and used that occasion to anoint Jesus with the Holy Spirit for his ministry and announced His approval of Jesus. Read Mark 1: 9-15. Word received: I want My Spirit to descend on you just like He did on Jesus. Word received: Don't be afraid. Ask. I love you too.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 02
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.
      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.
      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1. God, whose name is "I AM", has always been present and always will be. He holds the beginning and the end of everything in His hands. He holds you in His hands. He loves you and He knows your name.
      2. The One God, the only God, is Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit. So the Holy Spirit has always been there and always will be. He was there at the creation of everything. He was there when you were created.
      NOTE for teacher: The One God in Three we call the "Trinity". That's not an explanation but a reminder of what is true. For example, we can see the results of electricity and experience it without understanding it. The One God ( Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit) appears all through the whole Bible.
      Share Alexander Duncan's dream.
      3. God the Holy Spirit knows all about you and still loves you. God ( Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit) wants to come and live in your heart. Jesus wants you to ask him to come in and to send His Spirit to live in you. Jesus wants you to choose to follow Him and to receive the power of His Spirit to follow Him.

No comments: