Sunday, April 29, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 04 October 1, 2006

Living with the Shepherd
Theme: Good News to Share
Theme Verse: "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10b NIV
Readings: Psalm 23 and Psalm 100
Memory Verse: I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

      A word received: I Am the Good Shepherd. Start with me. When you start with me, you live with me. I Am the Good Shepherd. I will hold you in my arms. Love me. I love you. Start with me. I Am. There is no other Good Shepherd, only me.

      We have a choice. If we want to live with the Good Shepherd, we have to start with him. He made us. He loves us, but we have to choose him. We have to make the basic choice to let the Good Shepherd hold us, lead and care for us, to follow him daily. Then he will, at the end, bring us into his heavenly home to be with him forever.

      Jesus our Shepherd is not just an idea or just a historical person, he is the Living ONE who wants to give us new life, a daily life with him. Are we willing?

      Look at the memory verse: I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. We have to make a choice to enter in through Jesus, to live in the Kingdom. He is the only Good Shepherd.

      It is the character of God to shepherd and lead his people. To live with the Good Shepherd is to be lead. During the Exodus God led his people through the wilderness. " By day the LORD (the "I Am") went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night." (Exodus 13:21) When Jesus called his disciples he called them to "Come, follow me."
Psalm 23

      Psalm 23 is mostly about how God will lead and shepherd us. Jesus, the Good Shepherd ["I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep." -Ezekiel 34:15] He will take care of our needs of body and soul (often they go together). Stop and look at all that our shepherd promises! He promises rest, living water as well as physical. A word received: Let me take care of your needs. Trust me. I want to take good care of you. It is a choice you can make. As you read the rest of the Psalm, you will see how I will take care of you.

      He promises to restore our souls. Think of a time when you were physically refreshed. What was it? Was it a place of beauty? a visit from a friend? a time away from the stresses of daily life? a special time of worship and the presence of the Lord? Share. (Sheep will only drink from still water and only lie down when they feel safe and have enough to eat.)

      He leads me in right paths -- "for his name's sake" -- our shepherd shows us the right way to walk, to live, to make right choices -- so that he will be glorified and we will be protected. (Righteousness is not just a list of rules to obey but pleasing/obeying our Shepherd and having a relationship with him.)

      Now notice the psalmist shifts from "He" to "Thou" (Psalm 23:4). He starts talking to God instead of about him. Even though there is danger, evil and death all around us we don't need to be afraid because our Shepherd is with us. He will carry us through it. "Shadow of death" can also be read as "deep darkness". He may not always take away our trouble, but he will be with us. [See Isaiah 43:1-2]

      "Rod and staff" represent discipline and protection. The Lord uses both to strengthen us (the original meaning of comfort) and to comfort us (present meaning). They often go together.

      Even in the presence of our enemies and in spite of them, our Shepherd "sets a table", feeds us, provides for us, and he is there with us.

      "Oil" represents abundance, healing, and the Holy Spirit. [In a very hot, dry climate people often put oil on their heads to relieve dryness -- for example in north India.] Oil was poured over the people who were anointed and set apart as priests. The "overflowing cup" is God's abundance which we experience sometimes. This overflowing "cup" gives us joy and thanksgiving -- even in dangerous and difficult times. Our shepherd Jesus wants us to have life and have it abundantly.

      God's "goodness and 'hesed' (merciful kindness, steadfast love) will follow me". A word received: You are my sheep and the sheep of my flock and my mercy will follow you all the days of your life. Why don't goodness and mercy go ahead of us? One writer suggests that in coming behind us, God is separating us from our past sins.

      The final promise is that we will live with our Shepherd forever -- both here on this earth and for eternity. All this is just a taste of what is to come.

      Sometimes it is helpful to look at the benefits offered and match them up with the opposite:

Benefit vs. Consequences

      shall not want vs. always in want
      quiet waters and rest vs. turbulent waters
      restoration vs. destruction
      a guide vs. wandering about, lost

What else would you put?

Psalm 100
      What does Psalm 100 have to teach us about living with the Shepherd?

      First, that he is God and we are not. We are not "self-made" men and women.

      Second, we really don't belong to ourselves! He made us. We belong to him and he wants for his sheep. He wants us to live in his pasture so he can care for us. He made us in creation and he wants to make us his new creation.

      Third, God's nature and character is goodness and steadfast love and kindness.

      Fourth, that we were created to give him thanks and praise. That pleases God. Our God's nature is steadfast love to those who choose him. He is not changeable or crafty as pagan gods are. His goodness will follow me all the days of my life.

Psalm 100, a Psalm of Thanksgiving
Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands! (Psalm 100:1)
A word received: I welcome shouts of joy in my kingdom.
Serve the LORD with gladness; come before his presence with singing. (Psalm 100:2)
A word received: Come into my presence with singing and shouts of joy; come with gladness and serve me.
Know that the LORD, he is God; it is he who has made us, and not we ourselves; (Psalm 100:3a)
A word received: I have made you, you are mine. I love you and I formed you to serve me.
We are his people and the sheep of his pasture. (Psalm 100:3b)
A word received: You are my people: come to me and I will shepherd and bless you.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise. (Psalm 100:4a)
A word received: That is the way to come into my presence: with thanksgiving and praise.
Be thankful to him, and bless his name. (Psalm 100:4b)
A word received: My name is holy: bless my name.
For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting, (Psalm 100:5a)
A word received: You are my sheep, the sheep of my flock and my mercy will follow you all the days of your life. (From Psalm 23:6a)
And his truth endures to all generations. (Psalm 100:5b)
A word received: You are my sheep and I want you to know the freedom of my truth.

      God is our "forever dwelling" -- walking with the Shepherd is a forever journey. Unlike a long trip where kids constantly ask, "Are we there yet?" this is a journey of abiding that is filled with constant goodness and love, to relish/savor the Lord's presence for the security, peace, guidance, comfort and joy he provides along the way.

      How to teach words for teachers: I want My people to see My protecting hand. Part of My blessing is protection. You are in My hand and in My care. I love you and care for you. Tell of times I have protected you.

How to teach words for Ps. 100 (Use this week and again on prayer walk)
Ps 100:2 Come into My presence with singing and go forth with singing. When the classes go forth to pray and walk, I want them to begin with singing.


      Ps. 100:4 When the class returns (from prayer walking) I want them to give thanks to Me.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 04
      Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.

      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.

      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
1.Jesus wants to be your shepherd. A shepherd is like a good daddy to his sheep.
2. If we choose Jesus as our Shepherd, He will show us the way to live as we let him day by day. .
3. When we live with Jesus, He will always be there to comfort us, take care of us & lead us.
4. God wants us to come to Him with joy and thanksgiving.

No comments: