Sunday, April 29, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 16 January 14, 2007

Jesus Shares the Good News as a Child
Theme: Good News to Share
Theme Verse: "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10b NIV
Readings: Luke 2:41-52
Memory Verse: "Didn't you know that I must be about My Father's business?" Luke 2:52

      Notice that Jesus' parents were following the Lord and the law. (Luke uses the term parents even though he tells us about the virgin birth. Joseph was married to Mary and was the legal father of Jesus and the one who helped raise him.) It was the custom to go to Jerusalem for every Passover and they followed it. They were consistent as every parent needs to be. Mary and Joseph were witnessing to their children how to be faithful and loving toward God. They are a model for us in our parenting. "His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover." (Luke 2:41) A word received: I want you to see the way you are being raised: your parents are bringing you to me as Joseph and Mary brought Jesus to me. "And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast." (Luke 2:42) A word received: I want all my children brought to me so that they can come to know me.

      Part of the way God was preparing Jesus for his role as Savior was to have him experience the whole human growing up experience. He had to grow/increase "in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man" so he could help us in our weakness because he knew what it was like. Hebrews 4:15 says "he was tempted in every way as we are yet without sin" so he could sympathize with us and help us. He had to "learn obedience" (Hebrews 5:8) through what he "suffered" (ie experience a feeling, usually painful). (The word "suffer" in KJVersion is several different words.)

      One of the themes here is obedience (again!). Mary and Joseph were obedient to the laws and customs of God and Jesus was obedient to them as he was growing up. He was an obedient son and not a rebellious teen. Obedience is something we have to learn. Our children don't learn it all at once and we too have to learn to obey God. How has the Lord been teaching you obedience? (The essence of sin in the Garden of Eden story is wanting one's own way rather than obeying God.)

      Obedience is not a politically correct virtue these days but it is a quality that is important to God. In both Old and New Testaments children are instructed to honor and obey their parents "in the Lord". (Exodus 20:12, Ephesians 6:1-4) so it will "go well with them".

      The obedience of Mary and Joseph to God's law was the context in which God did something surprising and wonderful, something Mary pondered in her heart.

      Jesus had a "normal" family life at the same time God was preparing him to begin his ministry. Jesus remaining behind in the temple courts was not a sin. He was being obedient to his heavenly Father, but it was thoughtless of him not to tell Mary and Joseph! People traveled in caravans of relatives and friends so the boy was not missed till time to camp for the night. "When they had finished the days, as they returned, the boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and his mother did not know it;" (Luke 2:43) A word received: This not parental neglect; this is parents who are embedded in a community of faith. I want you to be a part of a community of faith. "but supposing him to have been in the company, they went a day's journey, and sought him among their relatives and acquaintances." (Luke 2:44) A word received: I Am a father who seeks after my children and I seek after you.

      Mary and Joseph went back to Jerusalem when they couldn't find him and searched for three days. "So when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking him." (Luke 2:45) A word received: Pray for the lost children. Pray that they will find homes and love.

      By this time they were frantic, as we can see from Mary's scolding of Jesus. "So when they saw him, they were amazed; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought you anxiously." (Luke 2:48) A word received: I learned obedience by what I suffered. I want you to learn obedience as well.

      Then we see this amazing thing--Jesus, already aware of his special relationship with his heavenly Father (not a frequent Old Testament term) says to them, "Don't you know that it behooves me to be about my Father's business?" "And he said to them, "Why did you seek me? Did you not know that I must be about my Father's business?" (Luke 2:49) A word received: I Am about my father's business; I want you to be about my father's business as well. "But they did not understand the statement which he spoke to them." (Luke 2:50) A word received: Your parents won't always understand you when you follow me.

      The temple teachers were astonished when they heard his questions and answers and understanding. "Now so it was that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions." (Luke 2:46) A word received: It is OK to ask questions and it is good to listen as well. "And all who heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers." (Luke 2:47) A word received: I can give you wisdom and understanding as well. Ask me for my Holy Spirit.

      Jesus' heart was already set on learning and understanding the scriptures and obeying his Father in heaven. Mary recognized that something special had happened and kept it in her heart. Do we have a hunger for God's word and ways??? PRAYER: Lord help us to keep on growing in knowledge of you and in obedience to you and your ways. As parents, help us so to walk faithfully with you that we can teach our children to grow in wisdom and in favor with God and man.

      Jesus went home with his family and was obedient to his parents. That too was part of his preparation. "Then he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but his mother kept all these things in her heart." (Luke 2:51) A word received: Are you willing to be obedient to your parents for my sake? "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." (Luke 2:52) A word received: If you follow me, you too will increase in wisdom and stature with both God and man.

      Teachers' How to teach word: Pray that the children will seek Me and My ways as I sought My Father and His ways.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 16

      Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.

      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.

      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you. A word received: Pray that the children will seek me and my ways as I sought my father and his ways.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:

1.Just as Mary and Joseph are models for your parents by obeying God, so the boy Jesus is a model of obedience for you, obedience to his Heavenly Father and to his earthly parents.

2. Obedience is something we have to learn, just as Jesus did.

3. When we are obedient to God, we will learn from and grow closer to God.

4. Sometimes others will not understand God's plans for us.

5. Jesus wants you to ask for His Holy Spirit, and to ask questions and listen. That is how you also can grow in wisdom and understanding.

No comments: