Sunday, April 29, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 05 October 8, 2006

Praying, Caring & Sharing for Others
Theme: Good News to Share
Theme Verse: "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10b NIV
Readings: Matthew 9:35-10:1, 7-8
Memory Verse: "As you go, preach this message: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is near.' heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give." Matthew 10:7-8

      People are still like that today, "harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd": college and high school students, older people who have jobs -- or don't, even school kids, even us sometimes. Sometimes we are harassed and helpless. We too need Jesus as our Shepherd! He loves us so much. He wants to help us -- and others. Prayer: Lord, thank you that you have such great compassion on us. Please give me/us your compassion and love for all the people around me who are harassed and helpless, who desperately need you.

      What is the message that Jesus calls us to share? "The Kingdom of Heaven is Near." Healing of the sick, resurrection for the dead, cleansing from what defiles, and freeing from demons are part of the Good News. These things are signs that point to God's Rule breaking into our world. Healing is an important part of the Gospel message. God is restoring it to His church.

      Jesus is our model. Look at his compassion! Look at what he did. Look at what he said. Word received: I had compassion. I want you to have compassion. Follow Me. Do as I did. I AM your model.

      Jesus wants to be the shepherd of the whole world. He wants us to join him in his task. Word received: I want you to have a shepherd's heart. I want you to have My heart for My lost and scattered sheep and lambs. (Some of them are lambs and need special care.)

      Word received: I went through ALL the towns and villages. I healed EVERY disease. I didn't skip any place or anyone. I don't want you to skip sharing every place I show and every person I bring to you. (There were other times when Jesus did not do that, go to all villages or heal everyone. What he did do was always to follow His Father's instructions.)

      Notice the difference Jesus makes between the crowds "harassed and helpless" and his disciples whom he calls to labor with him in his harvest. Word received: It is My harvest; I give you the honor of laboring for My Kingdom. Pray for more to seek this honor from Me. Pray for eyes to see the harvest. Word received: There is a great and abundant harvest. Pray for eyes to see it.

      Jesus wants us to be his workers in the harvest field. He wants us to have compassion on those who are suffering in various ways. Word received: You are the workers -- I want to send you out. Are you willing to go?

      Can we really do all this? In ourselves, of course not. If God calls us to this, yes, we can -- with his power. Word received: It will not be your strength or power that does this or even your own goodness, it will be My Spirit working through you. Ask for My Spirit to work through you.

      Jesus tells them to preach the Good News that the Kingdom (place where God rules) is near at hand! Speaking and proclaiming the truth is equally important with the "signs and wonders". Signs point to something. Make sure people understand what the signs and miracles point to!!! (What are some of the ways people can interpret signs and miracles that do not point to Jesus and God's Kingdom? God doesn't want people to wait till they die to hear about his love. Word received: Are you willing to say this for Me? I AM calling you. Will you answer? Word received: Be bold. Don't be afraid. I will show you how to share.

      Jesus sent the twelve disciples, who became apostles, out to heal, raise the dead(!), cleanse lepers, cast out evil spirits, and gave them authority, his authority and power to do this. Jesus gives us both authority and power. (Too often the world separates them because people seek to remain in control.) It is not only to his apostles, but Jesus sent out many of his followers. See Luke 10:1-3, 17-20 where Jesus sends out 70 of his disciples to do the same work, same results.

      Word received: It will not be difficult to do this if you let My Spirit move through you. Receive all that I offer and give others freely of what you have received. Word received: I will empower you.

      Part of what is required to receive Jesus' power (the power of the Holy Spirit) is to surrender to God's agenda (not our own) so that he can work freely in us. (This is a process, not a one time event.) We will find new freedom as we do this. Word received: I AM always here. You may not feel it. I AM with you always, you are never alone. Trust Me, trust Me, trust Me.

      We also need to pray for opportunities to serve Jesus in these ways and pray for eyes to recognize them. Prayer: Jesus, I want to minister like you do. Help me to follow in your footsteps. Give me the boldness to try and the faith to receive your power, authority and guidance.

Don't waste what God has given you.
SONG:
      "Freely, freely you have received,
      Freely, freely give.
      Go in my Name and because you believe,
      Others will know that I live.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 05
      Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.

      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.

      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you.

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
1.Jesus loves everyone in the world so much he died for them. Jesus wants everyone to know His love. He doesn't want to lose anyone.
2. Jesus wants you and me to tell others how much he loves them.
3. Jesus also wants us to pray for others.
4. Jesus wants us to care for others.
5. This will not be difficult if we ask for His Spirit ( Holy Spirit) to work through us.

No comments: