Sunday, April 29, 2007

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON 23 March 11, 2007

Jesus Shows Us How to Love
Theme: Good News to Share
Theme Verse: "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10b NIV
Readings: Luke 10:25-37; Mark 10:13-16
Memory Verse: "Jesus replied, 'Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Matthew 22: 37-39

      A very steep 17 mile long road descended 3,300 feet from the moderate hill country climate of Jerusalem into the below sea level desert heat of Jericho, the "City of Palms". Jericho was an oasis (and is today) amid this harsh environment because of the powerful springs that provided water there- water that rushes at 1,000 gallons per minute even today! In Jesus' day, Jericho was a popular second home market for the Jewish priests, and Jesus had ministered there often (as at the sycamore tree...). Jesus sets his parable along this busy highway.

      Jesus states the parable in response to a lawyer's questions. The lawyer specialized in the law (see Deuteronomy 6:1-5 and Leviticus 19:18) and should have known it well. That is why Jesus states the obvious in citing the heart of the law. Still, the lawyer presses him by asking "What must I do to inherit eternal life?"

       Word Received: I want you to be prepared to answer this question when someone questions you. If you want to gain eternal life, you must be willing to lose your own life. There is no way you can justify yourself in front of me.

      The lawyer had attempted to justify himself in front of Jesus- kind of like asking, "How am I doing?" How is his heart different from the many people who heard Peter's sermon on the day of Pentecost? (See Acts 2:27). What must we do? Coming to the aid of the wounded traveler begins by the proper response to the lawyer's question. Read John 6:28-29. To accomplish the work, or deeds, God requires, we must believe in Jesus. That is also God's will (John 6:40). The Levite and the priest represent groups considered by the Jews of that time to be "good". They meticulously maintained the numerous laws they believed God required in the Law for one to be righteous. In the parable, their behavior is perhaps justified because such Jews would have been afraid to touch what they thought was a corpse, for they would have broken a law and defiled themselves. The lawyer who came to Jesus would have been like them, very faithful to the law, but not sensitive to the God who is love. (see John 3:16 and 1 John 4:19) The Samaritan (Jews despised Samaritans and would not allow any social contact with them) was the one who showed mercy and compassion, or love in action; whose heart was right. Paul correctly notes in Galatians 3:6 that Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness. What we do then comes from this act of faith- from believing in the one God has sent.

      Another question raised by the lawyer was "Who is my neighbor?" In providing the parable, Jesus wanted the lawyer to ask himself the question, "Have I been a neighbor?" Read the memory verse again.

       Word Received: Look at the order here- God first, your neighbor second. Each generation has its own struggles. This generation wants to put neighbor before me.

      We are incapable of truly loving without the love of God in our hearts. Look at John 21:15-17. Jesus appears to his disciples after his resurrection. Peter has denied Jesus three times. Jesus helps Peter to refocus and asks Peter three times, "Do you love me?" Each time Peter says yes, and Jesus in turn responds in the following way- "Feed my lambs." "Take care of my sheep." "Feed my sheep." "Follow me." We may feel like Peter, who finally gives up- "Lord, you know all things." Do we love Jesus? Do we really have his love in our hearts? Did Peter feel, based on his denial of Jesus, that he did not love Jesus? Do we feel incapable of showing forth God's love? Good, Jesus is saying, for "without me, you can do nothing." Feed his lambs. Take care of his sheep. Follow him. The LORD'S word to Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9 is for us as well. The literal translation is: "My grace is enough for you, for my power is made perfect in strengthlessness."

       Word Received: Pray that my power will be present for the healing of many. Many are coming to hear me, pray for their healing.

      We love because Jesus first loved us. Abide in him. (See John 15:5-13) If Jesus, the one through whom all things were made, can state in John 5:19 that he can do nothing of his own initiative, that he can do only what he sees the Father doing, how much more do we need to see what the Father is doing? Do not focus on who is your neighbor. Focus on God and the work he has for you to do.

       Word Received: When you see what pleases me (helping the wounded stranger), I tell you to go and do likewise. All around you there are men and women and children who are bleeding to death from their sins. Go and reach out to them. Do not be afraid. I want you to help, and then share my love with them.

      Last, why did the disciples try to hinder the little children from coming to Jesus? They "scolded" them- yet Jesus' was indignant. The Greek word for indignant implies that Jesus was very angry about this. Perhaps the disciples felt "justified" in keeping them away. After all, there were many adults that required Jesus at that moment. Again, the Greek or more literal translation is instructive to show what Jesus did. First, he told the disciples to allow the children to come to him. Then, "he blessed them fervently, again and again." Jesus obviously had great joy in ministering to these little ones. Read Matthew 18:1-6. Jesus is very serious about allowing all to come to him. Everyone has worth in his sight. The disciples, and the Levite and priest in the parable of the Good Samaritan each hindered someone from coming to Jesus, from knowing God's love. How often do you pass someone by, as it were, on the other side of the road, because you do not want to get involved? When we set neighbor or self first before God, we turn the correct order of things upside down and undercut the distinctive quality of the Christian life, which is God's love. Recall Matthew 5:16 from an earlier Sunday School lesson- what happens to salt that has lost its saltiness? Or, to a light hidden? What is the distinctive character of the Christian?

       Word Received: The way to life for you and others is to choose my way. I am calling my people to choose life abundantly by choosing me. That is my call to you.

How to teach word for teachers: How am I calling you to respond by loving Me and your neighbor? Ask that question. There will be an answer for each of you.

Teaching Ideas for Lesson 23
Please read the Study Guide first. Go over Memory Verse to make sure the children understand it and then if they have memorized it.

      Remind them their parents need to sign a report slip monthly if they have read the lessons, so they will get credit at the end of the year.

      Make sure they know what happened in the story. Get them to tell you

Basic points of the lesson for little ones:
      1. To receive eternal life is to believe in Jesus as the Son of God who died on the cross for us: ask forgiveness for our sins and ask Jesus to help us by being our friend and helper.

      2. God's first command to us is to love him first. God must be the most important person in our lives.

      3. The second command is to love our neighbor as ourselves.

      4. Our neighbor is anyone in any kind of need that God puts in our path.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Micky